BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
ERROR: Undetermined I/O failure.
FATAL: Unrecoverable I/O error detected in the execution of the data step program. Aborted during the EXECUTION phase.
FATAL: Unrecoverable I/O error detected in the execution of the data step program. Aborted during the EXECUTION phase.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: There were 15824172 observations read from the data set WORK.OUTVMF.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
real time 44:34.32
cpu time 7:59.57

I run a SAS program which has 18 million records, the SAS application stops after reading 15 million records and closes the log file. Could you please tell me what is causing this error?
4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Lack of disk space, or lost communication with disk comes into mind.
Check the disk status of your saswork and location for your target table.
/Linus
Data never sleeps
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
We need to see the SAS log and the executed SAS code that is generating the error - so much could be happening in the SAS DATA step. Also, explain the SAS application/program, with SAS environment (local install or remote to server), SAS version, OS platform -- and, again, in your reply COPY/PASTE from your SAS log the DATA step code being executed just before and at the error point.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
stateworker
Fluorite | Level 6
Every time we have gotten an I/O failure, it has been the result of network issues within our office (we run remotely from a server). When the disk is full, we get a different error. Good luck - I know it's frustrating to work with a large data set and have it near completion only to fail at the end.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi.

We got a similar error with large datasets but not as large as yours.

Running win2003, 16gb memory, it turned out that the page pool was overflowing. Changing the Paged Pool Usage Maximum from 80% (Default) to 40% resolved our issue.

Might not be the same problem as you are having but may help.

Note: There were no event logs etc that indicated that there was a problem.

Regards

Barry

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation