BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
GreggB
Pyrite | Level 9

For the first time ever, SAS crashed on me.  When I reopened the program, the code was gone.  Is there any sort of auto recover functionality that may have saved the program somewhere in my files?

11 REPLIES 11
GreggB
Pyrite | Level 9

Here's what I found: C:\Users\<my user name>\AppData\Local\Temp\SAS Temporary Files.  The odd thing is that the program itself was not there but the files from the work library before it crashed were there.  So, I wrote a libname statement with this path and voila, up popped my data.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Gregg,

Glad you were at least able to recover your data.  One extra thought: did you look in your recycle bin to see if the possibly automatically saved then deleted program happened to be there?

ballardw
Super User

Check Tools>Options>Preferences>Edit to see if your Autosave setting is turned on.

If so then it was saved somewhere but it is OS and version dependent. Unfortunately the system option AUTOSAVELOC doesn't report where.

I seem to remember finding some code files, with and extension other than .SAS in a Windows TEMP or TMP folder. If I remember correctly they may have had a name like $Autoxxxxx That was in with Windows XP and SAS 9.2.0 neither of which I currently have so I can't check for them.

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

In Vista, Enhanced Editor has its autosave at

C:\Users\Peter Crawford\AppData\Roaming\SAS\EnhancedEditor

For DM they are named like

"Autosave of proc.report.demo.$AS"

For EG names are like

Autosave of Untitled_{AD6719CF-D17F-404F-913B-E6AFDB5EA24B}.$AS

and

Autosave of n_a_join2_{95C88722-BE90-4162-B14B-19282081C974}.$AS

MehdiP_
Calcite | Level 5

Peter C., your post saved me re-writing lots of code. On windows XP machine with SAS 9.3, the autosave for EnhancedEditor on my machine was here:

C:\Documents and Settings\PURMAH\Application Data\SAS\EnhancedEditor

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Thank you for letting us know. It's nice to hear when our suggestions help.

Muge
Calcite | Level 5

I would like to second MehdiP.  This is amazing.  I was so upset that I couldn't find where the SAS temp/autosaved files were.  Thank you so much, Peter.C

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I don't see 'preferences' option in SAS EG 7.1 when I searched under Tools>Options . Where it could be available?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Tools>Options>Project Recovery

Saugata
Obsidian | Level 7

Nice Suggestions all.

It saved my Job. As @ballardw suggested I checked the Tools>Options>Preferences>Edit and discovered that the Autosave option was turned on. Then it was just about finding the location.

If any body is stuck like me finding the location just remember SAS saves these autosaved files with .$AS extension (at least in windows environment, thanks @Peter.C), so just search for .$AS files and you should be able to recover it. I am using Windows 7, and these files are saved for me in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\SAS\EnhancedEditor (thanks again @Peter.C)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 9 in conversation