Help using Base SAS procedures

Running a routine program/code inside of a main program

New Contributor

Running a routine program/code inside of a main program

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish (and this may be simple, so I apologize if I'm asking a basic question...please forgive me!)

SAS Program #1 - Program I am coding for a new, specific research project.

SAS Program #2 - Program code that I routinely run for all of my research projects.

Historically, I have run #1, dumped the working dataset out, switched over to #2, processed the data through #2, dumped it back out, and re-imported it back into #1.  Is there a way I can code #1 so that it automatically loads in #2, runs the data inside of #1, and keeps right on going so that I do not have to manually stop #1, dump to #2, run #2, dump back to #1, import back into #1?

Example:  Program #1

Variables:          Date     Assets     Liabilities     Equity     Revenue     Expenses

2005     $1,000     $500               $500     $1,000          $750

2006     $1,100     $600               $500     $1,500          $900

2007     $1,500     $800               $700     $2,000          $1,200

In Program #2, it is coded to calculate (just an example, obviously it's a much more lengthy/complicated code that I update all the time so I want the newest version of #2 to always run on any of my other projects) Net Income, as follows:

Net Income = Revenue - Expenses;

Once #2 calculates Net Income, it exports the data, then I re-import back to #1 and continue.  I'd like to find a way to automate this.  Any tips?

Thanks!!!

Trusted Advisor

Re: Running a routine program/code inside of a main program

When it is just for calculating some value  out of some other variables that there are many options.

1- build a macro library for including needed code modifications.

When going macrotized that can be build to an very advanced level

2- use the %include statement  -  %inc fileref(menber) ;  - for bringing in building blocks of code.

Doing this the code blocks must be very standardized and simple. The technical solution is that simple

3- use FCMP or other precompiled function options.     

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Super User

Re: Running a routine program/code inside of a main program

It sounds like you need to make a macro . Check:

%do i=1 %to N ;

Program #1

Program #2

%end;

%do %while();

Program #1

Program #2

%end;