BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
parveeniitk
Calcite | Level 5

I have question regarding initialization of retain statement:

If we do not provide any initial value to variable in retain statement then where it will initialize? during compile time or during execution? and to what value: missing or zero?

4 REPLIES 4
CTorres
Quartz | Level 8

Execution time - Missing

Astounding
PROC Star

The initialization of all variables, retained or not, takes place at compilation time.

Some variables get re-initialized to missing during the execution phase of the DATA step.  The RETAIN statement merely tells SAS to skip re-initializing the variable during the execution phase.

If the RETAIN statement does not supply an initial value, the initial value is missing.  However, note that a "sum" statement is related to the concept of RETAIN and initial values:

tot + 1;

This statement means that TOT will be retained, and will be given an initial value of zero during the compilation phase of the DATA step.

MaikH_Schutze
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have two (2) follow up questions:

1) Can you give us an example of which variables get re-initialized during the execution phase? I thought execution is merely read and write (and calcuation if that applies).

2) What happens if you retain a variable with a valid value that is being read. For example, say variable x=2 in the first observation and I wrote a line of code as follows: retain x;. Doesn't that mean the value of 2 is retained in PDV during the initialization of the PDV in the second iteration of the DATA step?

Thanks in advance,

M.

Astounding
PROC Star

For question 1, I think this is the complete list.  The DATA step retains (a) any variable mentioned in a RETAIN statement, (b) the first variable in a SUM statement, and (c) any variable that comes from a SAS data set (regardless of whether the SAS data set is being read with a SET, MERGE, or UPDATE statement).

For question 2, yes the variable is retained.  Your programming statements may overwrite that retained value, however.

To illustrate, you might try creating some variations on these programs:

data test1;

put 'Before:  ' x=;

input dummy;

retain x;

x=_n_;

put 'After:  ' x=;

datalines;

;

data _null_;

put 'Before:  ' x=;

set test1;

x=_n_ + 10;

put 'After:  ' x=;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation