BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I often find that I'm drawing on the formatting features of Proc Tabulate to neatly present data which have already been summarised. That is, I just want to report single values in the table cells rather than summary statistics like the mean. I can, of course, do this by just presenting the mean (or the min, or the max etc) of the value. However, I would like to be able to double-check that I do indeed only have one value in the cell. Any suggestions on how to do this?

More concretely, consider the following program which tabulates average income by sex and age. The first table works fine as a way to present these data. I'm using 'min' not because I want the minimum, but simply to report the (single) cell value. In the second table, I've introduced a mistake. I'm only tabulating by age, but there are two records in every cell in this case.

What I would like would be some way to flag that the second table is not valid for my data. A crude way is to tabulate the N function for each cell and check this for all 1 s - but this produces an additional ugly table.

Ideally I would like to do with an 'only' function. This would return a missing value if the values in the cell had a positive variance (or range), and would return the mean (or min or max) if the variance was zero. I don't think this is possible in SAS.

Any other suggestions? Or should I use some totally different approach to tabulating already summarised data. Proc report is naturally oriented towards listing cases, but my understanding is that it doesn't have the flexibility of tabulate for rearranging row and columns.

data test;

input sex $ age $ avg_income;

cards;

M Y 100

M O 210

F Y 66

F O 33

;

run;

proc tabulate data=test;

class sex age;

var income;

table min=""*avg_income*sex,age;

table min=""*avg_income*age;

run;

6 REPLIES 6
BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Bumping this. It's 7 years later and I would still like to be able to do this! Any progress on using custom functions in proc tabulate?

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Your constraints are unclear.

Can you run proc tabulate twice? Once with statistics N and option OUT=, to check the underlying data, and then for the report?

proc report is typically more flexible than proc tabulate, not less.

BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Doesn't always work for data structure I'm using. Eg often I will have a table where some cells are constants (and I'd like to double-check this) while others are variable and I want to calculate the mean. It would be neat if I could write a cell function for this.

BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

One way to summarise: If the variance is positive, show missing, if the variance is zero, show the mean (or the first, last - all the same).

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

The only way is to pre-summarise and then set the values in a data step using the logic you describe.

Then you display them as you do now.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation