BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
finans_sas
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Everyone,

I have a very large number of excel files that I need to put in SAS. My files are in XLSX extension. These files come with two sheets. So far I opened each xlsx document and save the sheet with the data as csv. Next, I use the following code (thanks to UCLA) to read these CSV files. Even though this process works, it takes a long time to open each xlsx and save it as csv. I would appreciate your help with modifying the code below so that it reads XLSX files but only the sheet called "Data Sheet" (Note: the changes that I made are in green).

Thank you.

%let dirname = C:\sasfiles;

filename DIRLIST pipe "dir /B &dirname\*.xlsx";

data dirlist ;

length fname $256;

infile dirlist length=reclen ;

input fname $varying256. reclen ;

run;

proc print data = dirlist;

run;

data all_excel (drop=fname);

length myfilename $50;

set dirlist;

filepath = "&dirname\"||fname;

infile dummy filevar = filepath length=reclen end=done missover firstobs=2  dlm='09'x   dsd   lrecl=32767;

do while(not done);

myfilename = filepath;

input var1 var2 var3;

output;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

No, you can't read all excel files in the same way unfortunately.

You will need to either batch convert all CSV to XLSX or batch import. Either way, if using SAS a macro is a decent way to go.

I'm assuming all the files have the same structure though. Is the sheet name important to keep as well?

This is a often asked question so there are several solutions on here already that search will turn up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

Why can't you read the Excel file directly? Do you not have access to SAS/ACCESS? Or is there some specific format in your Excel file that SAS can't read in properly?

finans_sas
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Reeza,

Thank you for your answer. I have about 1200 xlsx files. The code above works so well for csv files. I thought it would be great to tweak it so that SAS can read xlsx extension files as efficiently. I hope I was able to answer your question.

Reeza
Super User

No, you can't read all excel files in the same way unfortunately.

You will need to either batch convert all CSV to XLSX or batch import. Either way, if using SAS a macro is a decent way to go.

I'm assuming all the files have the same structure though. Is the sheet name important to keep as well?

This is a often asked question so there are several solutions on here already that search will turn up.

finans_sas
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, Reeza. I just wrote a small macro that does the job.

Rahul_SAS
Quartz | Level 8

would you please provide the batch code...

Ksharp
Super User

can you use libname statement

libname x excel '.........xls';

libname x xlsx '..........xls'

libname x excelcs '..........xls'

then directly copy it frim x library.

data x;

set x.'Data Sheet$'n;

run;

Xia Keshan

Rahul_SAS
Quartz | Level 8

thanx keshan 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation