BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ahmed_Attia
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I have a question about error source in split-split plot design. I have combined two years of data as follows;

class Year Rep Irrig Tillage Variety;

model HJul24 =  Irrig|Tillage|Variety;

Random  Rep(Year) Rep(Year Irrig)  Rep(Year Irrig Tillage);

Irrig was the main plot, Tillage was the subplot, and Variety was the sub-subplot in three replicates. I would like to consider year in the random model. My question is; should I include the Tillage in the random model or not. As I will say in the paper;

Irrigation, tillage, variety, and their interaction were considered as fixed effects. Year, replicate, and their interaction with irrigation and tillage were considered as random effects.

Thank you very much.

Ahmed Attia

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hi Ahmed,

If you have sufficient data to estimate the variance components with tillage included, I would put them into the random statement.  However, I would be very surprised if the message "G matrix is not postive definite" or some such does not appear.  The reason for still including them is that they are part of the design, and the degrees of freedom for tests should reflect the "skeleton ANOVA" (see Stroup's Generalized Linear Mixed Models for more on this).

Steve Denham

(copied from https://communities.sas.com/message/217726#217726)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation