BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ebowen
Quartz | Level 8

I'm hoping someone can suggest procedures for running a Probit model using panel data (aka longitudinal data, cross-sectional time series data, etc.). From what I understand, PROC PROBIT doesn't handle a random effects necessary for dealing with the correlated data across time and cross section. And PROC PANEL doesn't have options for binary choice dependent variables. I've looked into using PROC QLIM, PROC NLMIXED and PROC NLIN, but I figured I would ask the denizens of the SAS forums what procedures you would recommend to address this problem.

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

If you are confident in programming likelihood functions, then NLMIXED is a strong possibility.

However, you can use PROC GLIMMIX with joint distributions for the variables in the panel (I assume there is more than one dependent variable).  As an example, check out Example 41.5 Joint Modeling of Binary and Count Data in the SAS/STAT12.3 documentation for PROC GLIMMIX.  Although the dependent variables here are from distinctly different distribution families, the method could be generalized.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation