Help using Base SAS procedures

Proc Update: Updating SAS master table with another table creates missing values

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Proc Update: Updating SAS master table with another table creates missing values

Hello,

I am trying to update a master table with 15,401 observations of rural-urban continuum codes where there are 651 observations are labelled as missing because they are redacted. Using proc update, I am trying to update those redacted values using another table with just those 651 redacted values that have been un-redacted via each observations sequence number. My code does update the table, but it makes the 14750 observations that were not redacted into missing values.

PROC SQL;

UPDATE major as m

SET RUCC_2013 = (select RUCC_2013 from minor where sequence_number = m.SEQNO);

quit;

Thank you for your solutions,

Donald S.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-08-2015 11:20 AM
Super User
Super User

Re: Proc Update: Updating SAS master table with another table creates missing values

You have not put any where clause on the update that is why it updates all records:

PROC SQL;

UPDATE major as m

SET RUCC_2013 = (select RUCC_2013 from minor where sequence_number = m.SEQNO)

where <conditon>;   /* The condition here being which rows you want to update */

quit;

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎07-08-2015 11:20 AM
Super User
Super User

Re: Proc Update: Updating SAS master table with another table creates missing values

You have not put any where clause on the update that is why it updates all records:

PROC SQL;

UPDATE major as m

SET RUCC_2013 = (select RUCC_2013 from minor where sequence_number = m.SEQNO)

where <conditon>;   /* The condition here being which rows you want to update */

quit;

Contributor

Hello RW9, that worked great. Here is what I did encase someone else gets stuck:

First I re-wrote the code with the new where clause:

PROC SQL;

UPDATE TEMP4  as t

SET RUCC_2013 = (select RUCC_2013 from minnesota where sequence_number = t.SEQNO)

where RUCC_2013 = '.';

quit;

I received the error "ERROR: Expression using equals (=) has components that are of different data types." though both the sequence number variables and the RUCC_2013 variable in both datasets were labelled numerical. I changed the missing values to a numerical value instead of being left blank:

data temp4;

set temp3;

if RUCC_2013 = '.' then RUCC_2013 = 11;

run;

Re-ran the code:

PROC SQL;

UPDATE TEMP4  as t

SET RUCC_2013 = (select RUCC_2013 from minnesota where sequence_number = t.SEQNO)

where RUCC_2013 = 11;

quit;

And it worked perfectly.

Though this worked, if you think there is a better way to do it, I would very much enjoy learning that as well!

Thank you!

Super User
Super User

Yes, the reason you have got that is due to the fact you are comparing apples and oranges:

where RUCC_2013 = '.';

In this section you are comparing RUCC_2013 which is obviously a numeric field (from your later code) with the text string '.'  Your later code you fixed this:

where RUCC_2013 = 11;

So comparing the number 11 with the numeric RUCC_2013.

If you change your first code to:

where RUCC_2013 = .;

or even:

where RUCC_2013 is null;

Then you will get the correct response.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation