BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Elkridge_SAS
Calcite | Level 5
I have a dataset with 16 million records and 64 variables, 2 of which I am looking to use to subset the data. Of the two, call them x and y, x has duplicates and I am looking to choose the one record of each unique x based on which one has the highest value of y. I know I can do this with either proc sql, using a "group by" approach or to sort first and then use a set statement with first.y etc approach. My concern here is which approach is generally considered more efficient ? I used to run away from all sorts until I realized that sometimes, a Proc SQL approach could be equally time-consuming. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
since you have only 16M rows and 2 columns to de-duplicate, I could recommend a hash able of keys with the row-numbers of the preferred row(for re-loading the data), but you might get the logical equivalent with the TAGSORT option of proc sort - when sort work areas should be needed only for keys (and that tag).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation