BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AssisJadue
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi , I'am new in SAS and i'm very excited so far with this amazing and powerful program/tool.

I was wonder if any expert can help me out to get this program to work. I'am trying to use the "where" expression to find a date in a Proc Report procedure but after many web pages , I have not found my answer.here is my code so far;

Proc Report  data=Bomgartestnew nowindows;

column Composante Day  D__but ("Reçus" Abandon_formule M_A_D );

define Composante / group descending;

define abandon_formule /analysis sum "Hier";

rbreak after / summarize;

where Day eq "Hier"

**another option/***

Where D__but eq '01-05-2015';

***/or using a date format like 01-05-2015 because I have another variable with that kind of observations********/

Run;

It seems that I'm not doing the right thing as both "where" could not find any results and this is the error that I got;

ERROR: WHERE clause operator requires compatible variables

Hoping that someone out there can give me a hand. It would be very appreciate it.

Thanks

Francis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

The two WHERE statements are failing for very different reasons.

where Day eq "Hier"

The WHERE statement is supposed to examine the incoming observations to determine which ones to use in PROC REPORT.  You can't refer to a calculated field, only to pre-existing fields.  Even if the field existed in the incoming data set, you would have to refer to the variable by its name (ABANDON_FORMULE), not by its label ("Hier").

SAS stores dates on a different scale that what you are expecting.  It's something you will need to study at some point along the way.  For now, the error message is telling you the D__but is a numeric variable and thus can't be compared to a character string.  D__but probably has a format connected with it that makes it print in MMDDYY form, but its actual value is numeric.  Try this version and see what happens:

Where D__but eq '05JAN2015'd;

Good luck.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

The two WHERE statements are failing for very different reasons.

where Day eq "Hier"

The WHERE statement is supposed to examine the incoming observations to determine which ones to use in PROC REPORT.  You can't refer to a calculated field, only to pre-existing fields.  Even if the field existed in the incoming data set, you would have to refer to the variable by its name (ABANDON_FORMULE), not by its label ("Hier").

SAS stores dates on a different scale that what you are expecting.  It's something you will need to study at some point along the way.  For now, the error message is telling you the D__but is a numeric variable and thus can't be compared to a character string.  D__but probably has a format connected with it that makes it print in MMDDYY form, but its actual value is numeric.  Try this version and see what happens:

Where D__but eq '05JAN2015'd;

Good luck.

AssisJadue
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks very much Astounding for the explanation and it did worked very well. Only thing that I did is that I follow your suggestion and I went back to the data set and predefined a variable with the following statement;

Data Data  Bomgartestnew;

set Bomgartestnew;

Day=D__but;

If Index (D__but,'01-05-2015')   Then Day="Hier";else Day="Mois";

Mois=D__but;

If Index (D__but,'05-2015')   Then Mois="Mois";

Run;

So now I can use my Where expression where Day eq "Hier".

You are right I have to know more about  how SAS Stores dates and I will. I've been using SAS for 3 weeks and wow this is awesome !

Thanks  very Much

Assis

Ksharp
Super User

Post it at ODS AND REPORT Forum , since it is a question about proc report . Cynthia is there.

AssisJadue
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Xia ... I'll do it next time,

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation