BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding proc rank. I created quartiles in sas using proc rank and then ran phreg afterwards for my model. my output however has 2 parameter estimates instead of 3 (I set the lowest quartile as the reference) Can anyone explain to me why that I have only 2 parameter estimates? Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22
newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

Anyone?

Reeza
Super User

Post your code, based on what you've posted hard to say.

newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

proc rank data=temp4 out=temp4 groups=4;

var hisugbev;

ranks hisugbev4;

run;

proc phreg;

class hisugbev4 (ref='0');

model tpyrs*c5_1(0)= age hisugbev4/rl ties=efron;

run;

newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

In this case, I just get level 2 and level 3 parameter estimates and for some reason no level 1

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Could it be that all level=1 cases are censored? - PG

PG
newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

Let me check my output and get back to you on that

newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

I have 36,945 total observations and 36,700 were censored leaving 245 actual cases, i personally don't think that's the reason

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Try running

proc freq data=temp4 ;

table hisugbev4*c5_1;

run;

PG

PG
newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

When I run proc freq, for level=0 (reference) I have a total of 16,875 people, level=2 11,014 and level=3 9,086 for a grand total of 36,975...so level=1 doesn't show up. I guess there was no one that had a value that fell into that particular quartile?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You must have a large fraction of hisugbev values that are tied... You should reconsider the way you divide up that variable if you want to get a meaningful model.

PG

PG
newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

So are you saying try quintiles or tertiles instead of quartiles?

Reeza
Super User

Take a look at your actual values in a histogram to decide a distribution. Sometimes there's genuine data intervals visible.

Make sure to add the param=ref option as well, sorry to repeat that.

newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

I ran proc univariate for the variable hisugbev and it is very left-skewed, about 65% of the observations have a value of 0 so that would probably explain the missing parameter estimate. My professor said I can still create quartiles even with the skewed data. Is there any sort of ideas you may have in mind? The data goes from 0-18 so i thought i could do maybe like 0-4, 4-8, 8-12, 12+

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

It would probably make sense. To be sure, try looking at the distribution of uncensored events:

ods graphics on;

Proc univariate data=temp4;

where c5_1 ne 0;

var hisugbev;

histogram;

run;

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation