BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mwilso8
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all, I was hoping someone could help me with a formula that uses Proc Print on one data set for only certain values which are populated in a separate data set. For example if I have the following two tables:

Unique_Identifier
Unique_Identifier
NameSales

Joe

2Bill165
3John150
4Mark200
5Barkevious100

How can I write a procedure so that I print of only the values that populate in table 1 under unique identifier?

I have tried just using

proc print data=Table.1; Where Unique_Identifier EQ "1"; run;

And while this works when running a smaller set of data if you try and do this for thousands of variables (which I am hoping to do) it takes to long. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hsharmas
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, as ballardw said you can use an IN operator for selecting set of values. But you mentioned that to print the observations where uniqueidentiier in first table(lookup) are 35k and sec table is 5million. In that case an efficient method is to use PROC SQL. One method is explained above in my first reply and more efficient will be:

So you have in table1 your set of uniq values which you want to print from table2 which contains a larger set of values.

ODS CSV File="C:\Temp.csv";

proc sql;

select a.*

from table2 as a, table1 as b

where a.uniqident = b.uniqident;

quit;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ballardw
Super User

What you are attempting is not clear. Why would you run the exact same code 3 times? Are wanting to create an output table for each value of unique_identifier? That would be BY group processing which would require sorting if not already done.

proc print data= datasetname;

by Unique_identifer;

run;

If this isn't what your looking for provide some examples of desired output.

mwilso8
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the quick reply sorry for not being more clear, I made an error in the example code, it was supposed to look like this:

proc print data=Table.1; Where Unique_Identifier EQ "2"; run;

proc print data=Table.1; Where Unique_Identifier EQ "3"; run;

The idea is that the second table contains many unique identifiers and I only want to print a subset of the data. My goal would be for the output table to simply print the contents of the rows in the second table with the Unique_Identifier value of 1,2 and 3. I am hoping to do this on a large data set where I know the values of ~35k unique identifiers and need to extract them from a second table that contains ~5million rows of unique identifiers.

Hope that clarifies things

hsharmas
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

As ballardw said your query is not clear but what I learned from the query is that you want to compare the values of Unique Identifier in the two tables and print out the selected obs.

For that you can use Proc SQL

Ex: proc sql;

select *

from table2

where select uniqueidentifier in (select uniqueidentifier from table1 where ........);

quit;

hsharmas
Fluorite | Level 6

%macro print_out();

proc sql;

select distinct count(uniqueidentifier)

from table1

into: distinct_vars;

quit;

proc sort data = table1 nodupkey out = uniq;

by uniqueidentifier;

run;

data _null_;

set uniq;

call symput('varb'||LEFT(PUT(_N_, 4.)), TRIM(uniqueidentifier));

run;

do i = 1 to distinct_vars;

ods html file  = "Print_&distinct_vars..xls";

proc print data = table2;

where uniqueidentifier = "&&varb&i";

run;

ods html close;

%mend print_out;

hsharmas
Fluorite | Level 6

I think this should solve the issue....

mwilso8
Calcite | Level 5

I'm not nearly advanced as you guys and just need to extract the data so here is what I ended up doing, let me know if you have any thoughts on this

Proc Print data=Table2;

where

Unique_Identifier EQ 1 or

Unique_Identifier EQ 2 or

Unique Identifier EQ 3;

run;

ODS CSV CLOSE;

This worked perfectly for a smaller set of data but I ask for replies because like I said I need to run this on a much larger dataset and am worried about speed/performance. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

ballardw
Super User

Shortcut in syntax for a list of variables is to use the IN operator

where Unique_identifier in (1,2,3);

Put the values in quotes if they are character values.

hsharmas
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, as ballardw said you can use an IN operator for selecting set of values. But you mentioned that to print the observations where uniqueidentiier in first table(lookup) are 35k and sec table is 5million. In that case an efficient method is to use PROC SQL. One method is explained above in my first reply and more efficient will be:

So you have in table1 your set of uniq values which you want to print from table2 which contains a larger set of values.

proc sql;

select a.*

from table2 as a, table1 as b

where a.uniqident = b.uniqident;

quit;

mwilso8
Calcite | Level 5

Awesome, thank you for your help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation