BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dthompsonada
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello SAS Communities, 

This is a strange one.  I am having intermittent problems with code copying and moving to the top of my SAS System file in SAS Windowing -  SOFTWARE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software 9.4 (TS1M6).  I’m concerned about whether this is a bug or if it is a consequence of how I am handling the program files or some other user-error that I can avoid. There is nothing coming up in the Log re: errors or flags on this code - or any other code in the program.

Attached are screen shots of one program (3.1) just before I saved, after I reopened and showing the code in its original location (This was duplicated, not moved. It existed in both locations when the program was reopened.)

Also attached, 2 more examples of instances where this occurred. (2.3 and 4.1)

This occurred again, just today, with only one of the two programs I worked on. I can’t figure out the rhyme or reason to it, nor how to avoid this.

Thank you!

Danielle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

In the SAS for Windows environment, there are several keys mapped to various editing and submit functions.  One of these is F4, which by default "recalls" the last piece of code you submitted and adds it to your editor.  It was more useful before we had a stateful editor like we have today...but it still does the function.

Any chance you're tripping over that, or perhaps another keyboard shortcut that you're triggering without realizing it?

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

In the SAS for Windows environment, there are several keys mapped to various editing and submit functions.  One of these is F4, which by default "recalls" the last piece of code you submitted and adds it to your editor.  It was more useful before we had a stateful editor like we have today...but it still does the function.

Any chance you're tripping over that, or perhaps another keyboard shortcut that you're triggering without realizing it?

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
dthompsonada
Obsidian | Level 7

This sounds like something that could DEFINTIELY be happening and it exactly what I would have expected - some kind of user error on my part. Something mechanical makes sense, given how often I hit F3. I am going to fake a finger flub to test this on the next program I open! Thank you.

dthompsonada
Obsidian | Level 7
Tested this in multiple system programs and this is what was happening! Thanks for saving my sanity.
Reeza
Super User
Are you working remotely across a VPN where things may not sync as expected?
dthompsonada
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Reeza-

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am not using VPN.  This is all stored locally, on a SAS-dedicated PC laptop, directly on the C Drive. I am the only user.

Thanks,

Danielle

mkeintz
PROC Star

Forgive the obviousness of this question, but are you sure that you are actually saving the program file, and re-opening the one you saved?   I.e., if you make some other change to the code (something simple like adding an extra semi-colon at the end of a statement), followed by saving and re-opening, is that change preserved? 

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
dthompsonada
Obsidian | Level 7

Totally valid question. I am certain of this. These are assignment files that I am actively updating to answer homework questions and checkpoint questions. They are not closed until the assignment is completed. When I go back in, they open with everything that I know I have already answered and I can confirm this because I also place each answer in a word document that gets saved at the same time as the SAS system program. There is also exactly one copy saved of each because I am not engaging in version control for these short assignments.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation