BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Martinez77
Fluorite | Level 6

Hey all,

I am trying to format a date variable that currently has a date16 format.

There are . for missing values for the variable. I need to reformat this but I get an ERROR: There was a problem with the format so BEST. was used.

Not sure what is going on. or how to work around.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CTorres
Quartz | Level 8

Try this to reformat "mydate":

mydate=datepart(mydate);
put mydate mmddyyn8.;

Regards,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

What does date16. look like? In my version of SAS date9. is the biggest format I can have.

Post what your dates currently look like and what you want them to look like, eg. reformat to.

Martinez77
Fluorite | Level 6

Reeza

29MAR2013:00:00:00

This is what they currently look like.

I want it to appear like this: 03292013

Thanks you for your help,

Martinez77

CTorres
Quartz | Level 8

Try this to reformat "mydate":

mydate=datepart(mydate);
put mydate mmddyyn8.;

Regards,

Martinez77
Fluorite | Level 6

I should have been a little more clear.

I have a variable in my data set name enrl_drop_dt which contains date values as below:

29MAR2013:00:00:00

There are missing values with a . if missing.

I need them to display as shown below:

I was hoping I could do it in a data step

Data bla;

set bla;

format enrl_drop_dt mmddyyy6.;

run;

I hope that shines some light

Thanks,

Martinez

Astounding
PROC Star

The format to use would be:

mmddyyn8.

There is some question as to whether that would apply as is, or whether you need to change your data as well:

enrl_drop_dt = datepart(enrl_drop_dt);

It all depends on what your variable contains.  If it's a date variable, leave it as is.  If it's a date-time variable, you'll have to apply DATEPART.  So try it with just the format and see how the dates look.  If they are far too large, apply DATEPART.

Martinez77
Fluorite | Level 6

all

Thank you all very much. I had a typo in my format. Fixed it and the datepart function worked great.

Another sas win.

Thanks,

Martinez

Reeza
Super User

So your variable is actually a datetime variable, not a date variable.

You can use some date formats specifically on datetime variables, but the one you require isn't...AFAIK. That leaves you with two options, 1) Recode your variable to a true date variable so you can apply the date variable or 2) Create your own format that you can apply. 

The first option was suggested by CTorres above in a data step.  The second partly depends on what version of SAS you have, do you have SAS 9.3. In SAS 9.3 you can use functions in a format so it becomes relatively straight forward then.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation