BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
daw
Calcite | Level 5 daw
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

When I was trying to fit Proc Glimmix model, I found the following message repeatedly.

"WARNING: Obtaining minimum variance quadratic unbiased estimates as starting values for the

covariance parameters failed."

My SAS code is the following.

ods html;

ods graphics on

proc glimmix data=malaria INITGLM NOBOUND asycov asycorr oddsratio ORDER=DATA MAXOPT=100 METHOD=RSPL;

class sex s1_03  s1_12 s1_07 s2_01 s2_02 s2_03 s2_04 s2_05 s2_06 rm1_08 rm1_09 rm1_10 rm1_14 n01_115t;

model rdt_res = age sex famsize s1_03 s1_13 s2_01 s2_02 s2_03 s2_04 s2_05 s2_06 tot_room rm1_08

rm1_09 rm1_10 rm1_11 rm1_12 rm1_14 rm1_nets n01_115t s2_01*rm1_09 s2_02*rm1_10

age*sex sex*s2_01 sex*s2_04 sex*rm1_10 /dist = binary solution covb corrb DDFM=BETWITHIN;

random intercept/  subject = s1_07;

Covtest GLM ; Covtest  DIAGG ; Covtest  DIAGR ; Covtest  HOMOGENEITY ; Covtest  START ;Covtest  ZEROG ;

weight Weight;

run;

ods graphics off;

ods html close;

I need help. Please could any one give me a solution?

Regards,

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

This is far from a solution.  I count 15 classification variables (I don't know how many levels for each, and some of which do not appear in the model statement, e.g. s1_12), and 8 continuous covariates (age, famsize, s1_13, tot_rm, rm1_11, rm1_12, rm1_nets, and age*sex).  Some of these look like classification variables as well, but you may well wish to treat them as continuous. 

So, I wonder about two things--complete collinearity (or separation) between some of the continuous covariates, and whether there is enough data to estimate everything. 

Given that these are not problems, what happens if you delete the INITGLM option?  You may still get mivque(0) problems, but it is a cheap try.  I would also try dropping the ddfm=betwithin, as I don't see any within subject variability being modeled.  As a last resort, try running this in PROC MIXED and save the covariance parameters to a data set that you call as starting values with a PARMS statement.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation