Help using Base SAS procedures

Populate dataset with member names

Accepted Solution Solved
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Populate dataset with member names

Greetings all.  I am needing to create a dataset with only the # and name values from the output of proc datasets.  I've found lots of documents about proc contents and proc datasets, but I can't find specifically what I'm needing to do.  If I run this...

proc datasets lib=OTBR;quit;run;

I see this in the log...

Member   File
                    #  Name               Type      Size   Last Modified

1  ONTIMESUM0  DATA     5120  12Sep12:09:42:07
                    2  ONTIMESUM1  DATA     5120  12Sep12:09:42:14
                    3  ONTIMESUM2  DATA     5120  12Sep12:09:42:20
                    4  ONTIMESUM3  DATA     5120  12Sep12:09:42:26
                    5  ONTIMESUM4  DATA     5120  12Sep12:09:42:34

What I need to do is capture the first two columns only from this output into a dataset in the same library.  I'm not sure if I should use proc contents or proc datasets.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thank you.

Greg

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-12-2012 11:05 AM
Valued Guide

Re: Populate dataset with member names

hi ... I think that you want names of data sets and views (not variables within a data set), so you could try ...

proc sql;

create table datasets as

select memname as NAME, memtype as TYPE from dictionary.tables where libname eq 'SASHELP';

quit;

just use a libref on the new data set to put it in the correct location ("...output into a dataset in the same library...")

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super Contributor

Greg,

example:

proc contents data=sashelp.class out=want (keep=varnum name) noprint;

run;

proc print data=want;run;

Sorry. I misundstood your question. I thought you wanted the variable names in a dataset.

Solution
‎09-12-2012 11:05 AM
Valued Guide

hi ... I think that you want names of data sets and views (not variables within a data set), so you could try ...

proc sql;

create table datasets as

select memname as NAME, memtype as TYPE from dictionary.tables where libname eq 'SASHELP';

quit;

just use a libref on the new data set to put it in the correct location ("...output into a dataset in the same library...")

Respected Advisor

Hi,

There are many ways to obtain metadata information. Like Linlin suggested, proc contents being one. You can also directly retrieve info from dictionary tables/views. One example is (using Linlin's example):

proc sql;

create table want as

select varnum,name from dictionary.columns where lIBNAME='SASHELP' AND MEMNAME='CLASS';QUIT;

Haikuo

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for the tips.  I did not think of using proc sql to hit the system tables directly.  As SQL is my native language, that option is easiest for me.  Thanks again.

Greg

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation