Help using Base SAS procedures

Performance Performance!

Contributor

Performance Performance!

Hi all,

I work with SAS DI Studio 4.2. and I am currently reading through some high level papers on SAS Performance.

These are talking about increasing SQL Join performance by ordering columns the right way - so, what IS the right way to order columns? Let's say there are 2 tables each containing 80 columns and I need to join them by 3 columns #2, #44 and #78. Do I change #2, #44 and #78 to columns #1,#2,#3 before joining?

Another question is about "in job parallelization" - let's say there is 1 Job containing 1 source table, 2 Extracts based on the source table, 1 Append that appends the results of the 2 Extracts and a Table Loader that writes the data into another table.

How would I

- make the 2 Extracts work in parallel via DI Studio

- make this work without blocking the source table

Thanks a lot,

th

Respected Advisor

Re: Performance Performance!

Posted in reply to thomash123

Ordering columns:

Not sure but I would expect this depends on the DBMS. A lot of them maintain table statistics and will anyway optimise your SQL. I don't know if it makes a difference but may be ordering a where clause/join condition along an index or having the column with the fewest distinct values first could help a SQL optimiser to get things right.

Parallelizing JOBS is normally done via scheduler (eg. LSF). If you want  to parallelize tasks within a single job then you would use a loop transformation - in your case with the inner job doing the extracts and then the outer job loading the result into target(s). Reading a source twice doesn't lock the table (only writing to as SAS table locks the table if not using SAS/Share). Certain procedures are also able to "multithread" - this is kind of parallel processing within a procedure.

In my experience when working with large volume data the biggest impact on performance has normally:

- reduce volumes as early as possible

- minimise passes through data

- minimise data exchange between SAS and DBMS (and reduce data volumes before exchanging).

- minimise disk I/O and do as much as possible in memory

- allocate enough memory to a job - avoid paging (=more disk I/O).

- investigate and tweak DB settings (eg. the insertbuffer as part of a DB library definition).

Contributor

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

I guess I have been a bit unspecific here when referring to SQL Joins. I was thinking about joins of SAS Datasets and not Joins of data in DBMS tables. Maybe there are some differences to consider?

th

Respected Advisor

The one thing which comes to mind is that SAS can only use one index at a time - so you want to make sure that it uses the "best" one.

proc sql FEEDBACK;... will write you in the log how SAS re-shuffels your query.

I've also made the experience that it's sometimes really worth to re-formulate a join condition - especially if there are OR's in it.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation