Help using Base SAS procedures

PROC export with a KEEP statement

Super Contributor

PROC export with a KEEP statement

Can I make this code work somehow? The starred out keep option doesn't work but I want it to. Smiley Happy I could create a another data step with just these variables but am always looking for more efficient means of doing things.

proc export data=astu_efa_sort /*(keep=(schnum permnum_s last_s first_s middle_s grade_s efaprim engprof_s advisor_s ela_sort math_sort science_sort social_sort))*/
outfile='G:\Departments\Research\TESTING\PASS\2009\TestingRosters\prelim_roster' dbms=excel replace;
run;
Respected Advisor

Re: PROC export with a KEEP statement

With PROC EXPORT the best you can do is to create a VIEW with the subset of variables you want. Should be efficient enough.
Super Contributor

I have no problems getting proc export to work with a keep statement in SAS 9.2.

your syntax is wrong, there is no parenthesis after keep=, and thus you would also only need a single parenthesis at the end of the keep list
Super Contributor

Thanks. When I removed a set of ( ), it worked, BUT I had to star out the WHERE statement. Should I not be able to to get the WHERE and KEEP statement to work?

option spool;
proc export data=astu_efa_sort /*(where=(schnum='006'))*/

(keep=schnum permnum_s last_s first_s middle_s grade_s efaprim engprof_s advisor_s ela_sort math_sort science_sort social_sort)

outfile='G:\Departments\Research\TESTING\PASS\2010\TestingRosters\prelim_roster.xls'
dbms=excel
replace;
run;
Regular Contributor

Are you putting the where and keep inside of one parenthesis or two? ie.
(where=(schnum='006') keep=schnum permnum_s last_s first_s middle_s grade_s efaprim engprof_s advisor_s ela_sort math_sort science_sort social_sort)

or
(where=(schnum='006')) (keep=schnum permnum_s last_s first_s middle_s grade_s efaprim engprof_s advisor_s ela_sort math_sort science_sort social_sort)

it is more helpful to see the code when it failed (and preferably in the log) than when things are comented out so it doesn't fail.
Super Contributor

Here is the failed code:

proc export data=astu_efa_sort (where=(schnum='006'))
(keep=schnum permnum_s last_s first_s middle_s grade_s efaprim engprof_s advisor_s ela_sort math_sort science_sort social_sort)
outfile='G:\Departments\Research\TESTING\PASS\2010\TestingRosters\prelim_roster.xls'
dbms=excel
replace;
run;
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Your KEEP= and WHERE= both must be located inside a set of parentheses for the particular dataset being referenced.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Regular Contributor

the where and keep options should be inside one set of parenthesis. See the following:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/62618/HTML/default/a001000998.htm
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation