BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tsegazaab
Calcite | Level 5

Hello;

I coded a proc univariate to analyze the variable FEV for smokers and non-smokers. Let me write the code here and the output as well.

PROC MEANS DATA=pulfun;
CLASS smoke;
VAR fev;
RUN;

PROC SORT DATA=pulfun;
BY smoke;
RUN;

PROC UNIVARIATE DATA=pulfun PLOT;
By smoke;
VAR fev;

And, I got the output attached as PDF file. My question is:

"Based on the output of PROC UNIVARIATE, describe the differences and similarities in the shapes of the FEV distributions for smokers and non-smokers.  Specifically identify the features of the output that you used."

Help me please. Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

It's easier to make a comparison if they're overlayed in some manner. 

Try the histogram statement. 

Tsegazaab
Calcite | Level 5

So, could you answer my question please? I am not clear with that concept. I am waiting.

Thank you!

Reeza
Super User

Distributions have specific features that are used for comparison:

measure of center such as median/mean

Tails

Outliers

You can compare the distributions using the graphs and/or the box plot. I find a box plot easier to write up a comparison.

So how do smokers compare for the median and mean for the FEV variable? Are the tails longer in one than the other? In a specific direction? What about outliers between the two?

Khan Academy has a full chapter on this topic (Comparing features of a distribution). They do a better job of explaining this than I would. 

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/statistics-probability/displaying-describing-data/comparing-feature...

This is clearly homework so this as much of an answer I'm willing to provide (my personal rule). Others may (or may not) choose to provide more assistance. Good Luck. 

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Look at the comparative histograms. Also use

ods graphics on;

and get rid of the PLOT option.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation