BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jpwiega
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello all,

Please see my example syntax below.  In the case below, my quadratic and interaction terms are not signficant, but my linear terms are (for A and AM, the two variables compared on the response surface).  As such, I am interpretting only the linear terms.  I would like to plot a response surface using only the linear terms (i.e. an entirely flat 3-D surface).  I can do this in other software using a 3D function plot.  Is there a way to do this within PROC RSREG?  If not, what is the best way to plot the linear 3-D response surface in SAS?

Many thanks!

ods graphics on;
	title "M & Job Sat & A";
		proc rsreg data=pt8
			plots=(surface(3d rotate=-33 fill=pred));
			model jobSat= jz lnWg iq I IM R RM S SM E EM C CM A AM /lackfit /covar=13 ; where sex=0;
run;
ods graphics off;
2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

By experimentation, it looks like RSREG needs at least two quadratic terms to plot a surface. It looks like you have 15 covariates, and you are using COVAR=13 to set the first 13 to linear. Therefore I would have guessed that the surface would appear.

An example in the RSREG doc shows how to construct scoring data by using the missing value trick.

Then use the OUT= and PREDICT options to write the predicted values to a SAS data set on a uniform grid of points.You can then construct a surface plot by following the steps on my blog.

If you want to visualize linear surface (or even a quadratic on), I recommend using a contour plot instead. It will be much easier to estimate the height of the surface if you can see the contours .

jpwiega
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi @Rick_SAS

You need at least two variables not set as covariates to get a plot (i.e. in my case, setting covariates to 15 will not plot anything at all).  Unfortunately, rsreg ONLY produces a quadratic plot(s) with the two (or more) variables you don't set as covariates (the final variables in the list)--it will not plot a surface using the linear results of the two terms as I desire.

To help visualize, I've attached the resreg quadratic output ("rsreg.png") and the corresponding linear plot (using SYSTAT; "systat.png").  I'd like to be able to make the linear plot in SAS as well.  Additional thoughts on how to accomplish this?

rsreg.pngsystat.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation