Help using Base SAS procedures

PROC GLM Error Message

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

PROC GLM Error Message

I am receiving the following error in the log after submitting this PROC GLM code.

proc glm data=dsn;
by segment;
class trim model category subsegment;
model price = trim model age category subsegment;
quit;

The error is:

"One or more variables are missing or freq or weight is zero on every observation."

I know the error is coming from the subsegment variable because I added the variables one at a time before getting an error with subsegment. 

I'm not sure how to diagnose the source of the error. Subsegment does have a 2% missing rate, but not all values are missing. Besides, I thought PROC GLM would simply exclude observations with missing input values. 

Can anyone provide help on the source of this error?

Thank you.

Dhrumil Patel

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-26-2016 04:48 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: PROC GLM Error Message

GLM does separate analysis for every BY-value. Check that subsegment is not entirely missing for one of the segments.

PG

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Post your log and look at output from proc freq on variable. My guess is you misspelled the variable name?

Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I checked it wasn't from misspelling the variable name. It was because of my BY statement. There were combinations of segment and subsegment where the values were completely missing.

Dhrumil

Solution
‎07-26-2016 04:48 PM
Respected Advisor

GLM does separate analysis for every BY-value. Check that subsegment is not entirely missing for one of the segments.

PG
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation