BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
InfoAlisaA
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Everyone,

So I received a bit of a project from my stats professor.

I need to create a two-dimensional array where there are 1000 observations and 50 columns where I am generating random Poisson numbers with a seed of 0 and a lambda=3.

I came up with the following code:

data test2;

array p{2,50} p1c1-p1c50

p2c1-p2c50;

do j=1 to 2 by 1;

do i=1 to 50 by 1;

p[j,i]=ranpoi(0,3);

end;

end;

run;

This is my test code so far, and what my problem is that the observations are not separating out into individual rows.

It has been a while since I have played with arrays, so either my code is correct and when I do proc print my data that it is all going to be under one observation anyways or there is a way to break these out to where there are separate rows for each observation.

I would like to have separate rows so I can perform calculations on the proportion of 0s and 1s that appear in each observation.

Could someone please let me know where I am going wrong with this code?

Thanks!

Alisa

Message was edited by: Alisa Arnold So after having a light blub moment as I was walking out of school, this is what I have come up with: data tested;   array pi{2,50} p1-p50                  p1-p50;   do i=1 to 2;    do j=1 to 50;    pi[i,j]=ranpoi(0,3);   end;   output;   end;   drop i j; run; proc print data=tested; run; I am hoping there is something easier I can do because I do not want to have to index p1-p50 1000 times in order to get this code to display the way I want it to. Thanks! Alisa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Where you place an OUTPUT statement will affect the observations.

Are you sure you need a two dimension array? To get 1000 obs with 50 columns I would try

data test2;

array p p1c1-p1c50

;

do i = 1 to 1000;

do j=1 to 50 ;

p=ranpoi(0,3);

end;

output;

end;

run;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Where you place an OUTPUT statement will affect the observations.

Are you sure you need a two dimension array? To get 1000 obs with 50 columns I would try

data test2;

array p p1c1-p1c50

;

do i = 1 to 1000;

do j=1 to 50 ;

p=ranpoi(0,3);

end;

output;

end;

run;

InfoAlisaA
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks! I had my 'Why didn't I put an output in my DO loop?' thought as I was leaving school.

This does come out exactly how I want it to. Now it is off to do some calculations with all of this lovely data. Smiley Happy

Thanks so much for your help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation