Help using Base SAS procedures

NLMIXED and GEE

Occasional Contributor

NLMIXED and GEE

Dear All,

While using PROC NLMIXED  or GEE is there a specific way the clustering variable should be coded.

Does coding effects the results. For instance say I have  subject=PHYSICIAN in my PROC NLMIXED option or repeated subject=PHYSICIAN in PROC GEE will it effect my results or will it create issues with convergence if I code PHYSICIAN as (1,2,3,4) or PHYSICIAN as (64055, 65471,56432).

If it does effect then how can I change the coding scheme for a variable in SAS. As currently my PHYSICIAN is coded with  5 digit numeric codes (eg physician A has code 64055, physican B has code 65275 and so on). There are 58 physicians (clusters) and the cluster size (number of patients being treated by each physician) varies from 1 to 39.

Looking forward for your ocmments and suggesitons.

Best Regards,

Tasneem

Respected Advisor

NLMIXED and GEE

So long as the clustering variable is explicitly included in the CLASS statement, it should be OK.  I worry somewhat about the 'repeated' statement, but I believe you will be using PHYSICIAN as in SUBJECT=PHYSICIAN part.  If not, then careful consideration needs to be made as to the possible covariance structures and the effect of coding on them.

Steve Denham

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation