Help using Base SAS procedures

Making Program in Editor Read-Only

Occasional Contributor

Making Program in Editor Read-Only

Now that I've slaved over code that other people will use, can I make it a read-only file?

I want people to save a copy in order to edit the export query.

Super User

Re: Making Program in Editor Read-Only

Use the operating system's access control. (my preferred method for .sas files).

If it is part of an EG project, save the project in a folder in the metadata and set the access rights there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super User

And make a backup in a non-shared location...

Super User
Super User

Or use a version control system (SVN, GIT etc.), e.g. save the tool in your tools area, then version control external that code to your local project.

Super User

An other idea: put the part that may need editing into an include file, and have users make a local copy of that. The main program would then do a %inc '$HOME/something.sas'; and be saved without write access for the users. Have a provision for the log of every run to be saved permanently, so you can show it's the include that is causing the odd ERROR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Valued Guide

I you are wanting to make a program read-only because you are doing release management ...

That is you are following the process of: Develop Test Accept Production DTAP than design the host control accordingly and do some management arround that. (ITIL) .

This is the higher level process to think about.

Some technical approaches can help you to make thing easier around this. That are:

- reuse of accessable available components in the DTAP lifecycle. A filename approach (concat) with %inc is something. 

- The needed host access controls are commonly known and rather good to understand

Some people have difficulties with the difference between horizontal and vertical.

- Let release-management by a vertical management eg DTAP approach

- Version-control has the goal on segerating the work of developers working in a project that is a horizontal approach.

vertical and horzizontal are two different directions.....

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation