Help using Base SAS procedures

Macro to read multiple txt files

Frequent Contributor

Macro to read multiple txt files

Hi ,

I have a folder that has multiple text files as below.

\\hfn5\SASPROD\H10521R1.TXT

\\hfn5\SASPROD\H10522R1.TXT

\\hfn5\SASPROD\H10523R1.TXT

\\hfn5\SASPROD\H10524R1.TXT

\\hfn5\SASPROD\H10525R1.TXT

\\hfn5\SASPROD\H10526R1.TXT

I need to read all text files data from the above folder by using macro code instead of infile statement because the files will get updated frequently and create a sas dataset for further analysis.

Please help me how to create a macro to read all txt files data in the sas dataset ?

Thanks for your help.

Super Contributor

Re: Macro to read multiple txt files

PROC Star

From your explanation I don't see how a macro would be better than a route similar to what Linlin suggested.  I do have a couple of questions, though.  What will determine if a file should be imported?  Do all of the files end up getting appended to one SAS file?  Do the files that were already uploaded have to be replaced and/or updated?

Frequent Contributor

Yes Arthur, once the file was imported it has to be append into one SAS file.Once in a week the additional files will get uploaded to the production folder, inorder to avoid the programming changes everytime we tried to create a macro that reads a additional and existing file from the folder.

Super User

If I were you, I will use infile + filevar=  . it is very easy and flexility .

Valued Guide

Am I missing something or is it as simple as adding a wildcard into the FILENAME statement:

filename intxt "c:\temp\xx*.txt";

data want;

infile intxt;

input var $;

run;

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation