BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vioravis
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am trying to translate text from European languages to English. I have given an example below in which the "original" contains the text to be translated and "translated" contains the translated text. Also, each row could belong to a different language as shown by "language".

data translation;

input original $1-18 translated $19-33 language $34-41;

datalines;

esta es una prueba this is a test Spanish 

Dies ist ein Test  this is a test German

this is a test     this is a test English

Ceci est un test   this is a test French

;

run;

One constraint I have is I cannot use Google Translate for this purpose.

Is there a way to use SAS for doing this translation (without using Google Translate)? All the other subsequent steps are in SAS and am trying to see whether I could make this translation included in SAS as well.

Thank you.

Ravi

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

There is no language translation module in SAS as much as I know.

What you would need is to find some 3rd party tool with which SAS can communicate and which not only translates but is also able to first detect from which language it must translate.

You could try to find a Web service for translation and use Proc Soap to communicate with this Web service.

vioravis
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, Patrick.

Are there any commercial translation software that SAS can communicate with? Any pointers would be helpful.

Ravi

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Hi Ravi

SAS is able to communicate over various channels. I've done a brief Internet search and found this Wiki page: Translation Services - WebServices Wiki

It's not really my area of expertise but I would assume it will be more a question whether you can find a translation service/software which has automatic language detection, all the languages you need and some API which allows you to set-up communication.

Google for example seems to have it all: Using REST - Google Translate API — Google Developers and SAS would be able to use it

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/wbsvcdg/62759/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p06ov8we7odtj6n1gc...

I'm sure you can find alternatives with a bit more searching the web.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation