BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
khill
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I'm trying to understand if I can avoid this behaviour. When using the INFILE function on a UNIX file, SAS first transfers the file to my local PC and then back to the server.

The source file is imported to the SAS server via PERL script to avoid my PC and it's relatively narrow network bandwidth.

The code looks like this;

DATA WORK.CDS_INFILE_CLEAN;

LENGTH

field1     $ 13

field2     $ 24

;

FORMAT

field1     $CHAR13.

field2     $CHAR24.

;

INFORMAT

field1     $CHAR13.

field2     $CHAR24.

;    

INFILE '/sas/saswork1/SAS_workA24500000D3B_g4u1113c/#LN00018'

LRECL=337

ENCODING="UTF8"

TERMSTR=CRLF

DLM='7F'x

MISSOVER

DSD ;

INPUT

field1     $CHAR13.

field2     $CHAR24.

;

RUN;

Thanks,

John

2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

John,

"When using the INFILE function on a UNIX file, SAS first transfers the file to my local PC and then back to the server."

That doesn't make any sense to me.  We have unix boxes and that doesn't happen on them.  You need to tell us more about the working environment or call tech support directly.

[That behavior is documented to happen with SAS datasets and EGuide, but there is also a documented approach to avoid it.]

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

khill
Calcite | Level 5

Doc@Duke wrote:

[That behavior is documented to happen with SAS datasets and EGuide, but there is also a documented approach to avoid it.]

I can see the confusion. The dataset is imported via scripting, and then processed using the EG.  When I execute the sas program via UNIX script the import happens directly. However the program is executed within the EG I get the behaviour documented above.

Can you point me to the documented approach to avoid it...or is the approach to not use EG?

Thanks,

John

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation