BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
brophymj
Quartz | Level 8

I'm getting the following error when I run a data step on a file: "An I/O error has occurred on file ..."

I check the space and there is no issue there.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix the problem?

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

You need to give us more insight of what you're doing and provide much more log

damanaulakh88
Obsidian | Level 7

These errors are also known to occur when the number of data sets that the SAS system has open exceeds the number of files that the operating system allows to be open simultaneously for the user

Also look below:

a.) www.sas.com/offices/asiapacific/sp/usergroups/snug /archive/2007/presentations/HStreitAnalyzingSASPe... - look at slide 17.

b.) http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9811b&L=sas-l&P=12286

As you pointed out, this error could be due to work space being full at time of reading the file. Try using the SGIO option which will reduce the need to write to cache.

Hope this helps.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

As has already been pointed out, there are quite a few possible causes for this. Does is consistently happen to the same dataset or does it occasionally happen to any dataset? If its the second scenario an intermittent hardware problem is another possibility. Checking your computer's event log may provide additional information.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation