BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Lantern
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am relatively new to SAS.  I used proc transreg to Box Cox transform my data, but I am at a loss for how to proceed from here.  Do I need to output the transformed data and use that new data file  in the proc mixed model statement, or can I incorporate the transformation statement into the proc mixed code?  I've very sorry for the simple question, but I have searched various SAS/statistics help forums, Googled it, and I cannot find an answer.  Details are appreciated. 

Thanks so much!

Lan

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Using the transformed dependent data is fine.  Remember that all lsmeans and their standard errors are on the transformed scale.  If you happened to find a "convenient" transformation through Box-Cox, you may wish to consider using GLIMMIX, provided an appropriate distribution can be specified.

Steve Denham

lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

One would typically just transform the response variable in a data step, and then use this in MIXED. Now here is something if you are more ambitious. If you are using MIXED, you probably have random effects in your model, or repeated measures. But TRANSREG does not use the random effects in determining the power coefficient for Box-Cox. Hans-Peter Piepho wrote a macro to determine lambda  power coefficient for a mixed model. It uses profile likelihoods by calling MIXED multiple times. (Piepho. 2009. Agronomy Journal 101(4): 865-869). But someone new to SAS could struggle with this. I mostly point this out for the more experienced SAS users.

Lantern
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks!  You're right, I do have random effects and repeated measures.  The macro you mentioned sounds a bit over my head, but I will have a look at the paper and see if I can work it out.  Thanks so much!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation