BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
M_K
Calcite | Level 5 M_K
Calcite | Level 5

hi everyone,

I want to know how to use a minimum or maximum value of a variable in further calculations. I am able to find out maximum or minimum values of a variable, say X, using proc univariate or proc sql. now i want to use it for further calculation say, a new variable y =  (maximum of x)* observation in variable Z. I can do it putting values of minimum and maximum into the program. but i dont want to copy and paste the values from output to program. Is there any way i can do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

proc sql;

create table WANT as

select *, y*max(x) as z

from HAVE;

quit;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I'm sure you can.

Have I understood you right: in a table have columns X, Y. For each row, you want to multiply the row value of Y with the table's maximum value of X?

Y     X

10     3

12     5

8     6

10   10

Will result in

Y     X     Z

10     3     100

12     5     120

8     6     80

10   10     100

If this is the case SQL will do it for you in on step.

If you for some reason want to use the value of max(x) for processing in another step, you can store that value in a macro variable (see the into construct in SQL), or have the max(x) calculated in a join or in asub-query.

proc sql;

select y * max(x) as z

from inputTable;

quit;

Data never sleeps
M_K
Calcite | Level 5 M_K
Calcite | Level 5

Hi LinusH, I am able to create Z this way, thanks for your help! Can you also tell me how do you save it in data file?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you are using PROC SQL you can use the CREATE TABLE clause to create a table (dataset).

proc sql ;

create table WANT as

select x,y,y*max(x) as z

from HAVE

;

quit;

You should also learn how to use SAS Procs to product output tables.

proc summary data=HAVE ;

var x;

output out=xmean mean=xmean ;

run;

And how to manipulate data using DATA steps.  Here is a trick to copy values from a dataset with only one observation onto all observations of another dataset.  _N_ is the automatic loop counter for the data step.  So the record from the dataset XMEAN will only be read the first time SAS runs through the data step code.  Since XMEAN variable is never overwritten again it will stay the same for all iterations of the data step.

data want;

set have ;

if _n_=1 then set xmean;

z=y*xmean;

run;

M_K
Calcite | Level 5 M_K
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your reply, Tom!

I did use similar code as you have given -

proc sql;

create table WANT as

select x, y, y*max(x) as z

from HAVE;

quit;

But doing this I am just able to export x, y and z to WANT. But I want to have all of the variables from HAVE and add z to it to get WANT. Can this be done?

art297
Opal | Level 21

proc sql;

create table WANT as

select *, y*max(x) as z

from HAVE;

quit;

M_K
Calcite | Level 5 M_K
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much Art! Its such a simple code and worked as well! Smiley Happy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation