Help using Base SAS procedures

How to statistically comapre difference between two groups with the difference between another two groups

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor ZC
Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to statistically comapre difference between two groups with the difference between another two groups

Hi

I am running the following PROC MIXED precedure to examine difference between 2 groups with the difference between another 2 groups.

PROC MIXED;

CLASS group;

MODEL Y = group + x1 + x2;

RUN;

Categorical variable "group" has four levels: 1, 2, 3, 4.

I would like to compare the difference in Y between group 1  and 2 to the difference in Y between group 3 and 4. How can I do it?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎06-22-2013 12:37 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: How to statistically comapre difference between two groups with the difference between another two groups

Do not use plus signs in the MODEL statement. For the comparison, use the CONTRAST statement:

CONTRAST 'Difference of differences 1 - 2 - (3 - 4)' group 1 -1 -1 1;

PG

PG

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎06-22-2013 12:37 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: How to statistically comapre difference between two groups with the difference between another two groups

Do not use plus signs in the MODEL statement. For the comparison, use the CONTRAST statement:

CONTRAST 'Difference of differences 1 - 2 - (3 - 4)' group 1 -1 -1 1;

PG

PG
Contributor ZC
Contributor

Thank for answering my question. It is very helpful.

I meet another challenge:

Another confounder (e.g., x3) in group 1 and group 3 is physiological higher than in group 2 and group 4. So I cannot include x3 as a independent variable in the model since putting x3 in the model will allow x3 equal in the four groups. To make the comparison of Y between (1-2) - (3-4) reasonable, I have to allow x3 comparable between group 1 and group3 and between group 2 and group 4.

How can I achieve it?

Thanks,

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation