Help using Base SAS procedures

How to merge two variables together?

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to merge two variables together?

Hi,

After transposing my long dataset to wide, I realised some variables were the same but titled differently (one is serum, and the other plasma). So now I would like to clean my data further by merging the variables but having trouble with the coding. 

For example (see sample data below):

For subject E01, I would like to put the data for 'var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__P' under the first variable 'var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Se' and delete 'var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__P' . Similarly, I would like to put the data under 'var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasma' under the 3rd variable 'var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Serum_'.

What is the best way to go about doing this? Thanks in advance.

SUBJECTvar_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Sevar_Albumin__Serum_var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Serum_var_Aspartate_Aminotransferase__var_Bilirubin__Total__Serum_var_Calcium__Serum_var_Carbohydrate_Antigen_125__Sevar_Creatinine__Serum_var_Gamma_Glutamyltransferase__Svar_Hemoglobin__Blood_var_Lactate_Dehydrogenase__Serumvar_Leucocytes__Particle_Concentvar_Lymphocytes__Particle_Concenvar_Neutrophils__Particle_Concenvar_Platelets__Particle_Concentrvar_Protein__Total__Serum_var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Plvar_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasmavar_Bilirubin__Total__Plasma_var_Calcium__Plasma_var_Creatinine__Plasma_var_Gamma_Glutamyltransferase__Pvar_Lactate_Dehydrogenase__Plasmvar_Lymphocytes__Blood_var_Protein__Total__Plasma_var_Albumin__Plasma_
E0227431293462.54568291222417.32.53.817575          
E01   26  39  115 5.112.52.2187 37723.2492.3683.981823149.774 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-23-2018 02:06 AM
Trusted Advisor

Re: How to merge two variables together?

Posted in reply to lavienrose1

Use next code to do the work:

data want

set have;

array x_serum var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Se var_Albumin__Serum_ ..... <up to the last ..._srum>;

array x_plasma var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Pl  var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasma ..... <up to last ..._plasma>;

**** Be careful to order both arrays in compatible order !  ***;

do i=1 to dim(x_serum);

if x_plasma(i) ne .    /* missing value */

then x_serum(i) = x_plasma(i);

end;

drop i  x_plasma var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Pl  var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasma ..... <up to last ..._plasma>;

run;

View solution in original post

All Replies
Trusted Advisor

If I understand it correctly you have an array of _serum compatible to array of _plasma

and you want to move the last into the first then drop the last array variables.

Is it correct ?

Can both variables xxx_serum and xxx_plasma be non empty ? - If positive, what do you want to do?

replace the value or save both in separate oservations ?

Occasional Contributor

If I understand it correctly you have an array of _serum compatible to array of _plasma

and you want to move the last into the first then drop the last array variables.

Is it correct ? 

Yes that is the correct understanding

Can both variables xxx_serum and xxx_plasma be non empty ? - If positive, what do you want to do?

replace the value or save both in separate oservations ? 

I would replace the value 

Thanks

Solution
‎04-23-2018 02:06 AM
Trusted Advisor

Use next code to do the work:

data want

set have;

array x_serum var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Se var_Albumin__Serum_ ..... <up to the last ..._srum>;

array x_plasma var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Pl  var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasma ..... <up to last ..._plasma>;

**** Be careful to order both arrays in compatible order !  ***;

do i=1 to dim(x_serum);

if x_plasma(i) ne .    /* missing value */

then x_serum(i) = x_plasma(i);

end;

drop i  x_plasma var_Alanine_Aminotransferase__Pl  var_Alkaline_Phosphatase__Plasma ..... <up to last ..._plasma>;

run;

Occasional Contributor

Thank you Shmuel - that worked

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation