BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sy2011
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

Can I use PROC IMPORT to import delimited text file which contains a lots of comment lines at the beginning of the file. The comment lines are marked with "#"s. I want to exclude the comment lines and start to import at the header line.

Thanks.

sy
6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User
Single input file or multiple input files with varying numbers of comment lines?
sy2011
Calcite | Level 5
I've resolved the problem. Thank you for your reply.
sy2011
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you for all your replies. I've resolved the problem by using DBailey's approach, i.e., I used substr( ) to delete the lines with #s in the DATA step.
Ksharp
Super User
It seems that proc import cann't do it, But Import Data Wizard in sas menu can choose the start row of data. Maybe it is not what you want.

Ksharp
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You could always fall back and write your own data step to check the first character of the line before parsing and outputting the data set.
sss
Fluorite | Level 6 sss
Fluorite | Level 6
HI
I am not sure about the wizard but you can do by code

data dataset_name;
infile 'path\file.txt' dlm='#&*';
input var1$ var2 ;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation