BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASHunter
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I know that I have read something on how to do this, but after much searching yesterday - I am finally asking here. 

I am trying to create a listing of variables from a PROC COMPARE of two datasets.  And after capturing just the variables use them as a %LET statement to put in for a DROP= statment.

I can do the PROC COMPARE and get the list of variables.  But I had to cut and paste them into my program for the %let.  There are over 50 variables that show up.

options nodate pageno=1 linesize=80 pagesize=40;
proc compare base=sas14.aug14sup
compare=sas15.aug15sup out=work.temp
novalues brief listvar;
id var;
title 'Comparison of Variables in 2 Different Data Sets';
run;

Can someone give me a better way of programming this, without the cut and paste step. 

Thanks so much for any help here. 

Nancy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Not sure I follow you, but my take is you want to drop variables which only appear in one yes, if so:

proc sql noprint; 
  select  distinct NAME
  into    :DROP_LIST separated by " "
  from    (select NAME from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS where LIBNAME="SASHELP" and MEMNAME="CARS")
  where   NAME not in (select NAME from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS where LIBNAME="SASHELP" and MEMNAME="CLASS"); 
quit;
%put &DROP_LIST.;

This is just a general example.  Please provide test data in the form of datasteps, and required output if you require something more specific.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASHunter
Obsidian | Level 7

I don't know where that Title came from - That is not what I entered. ??? : \

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
I corrected the title. Perhaps an "autocomplete" from the Post Message form?
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Not sure I follow you, but my take is you want to drop variables which only appear in one yes, if so:

proc sql noprint; 
  select  distinct NAME
  into    :DROP_LIST separated by " "
  from    (select NAME from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS where LIBNAME="SASHELP" and MEMNAME="CARS")
  where   NAME not in (select NAME from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS where LIBNAME="SASHELP" and MEMNAME="CLASS"); 
quit;
%put &DROP_LIST.;

This is just a general example.  Please provide test data in the form of datasteps, and required output if you require something more specific.

SASHunter
Obsidian | Level 7
libname sas14 '.../prod/sas/aug14';
libname sas15 '.../prod/sas/aug15';

PROC SQL; SELECT distinct NAME into :DROP_LIST separated by " " from (select NAME from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS where upcase(libname)="SAS14" and upcase(MEMNAME)="AUG14SUP") where NAME not in (select NAME from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS where upcase(libname)="SAS15" and upcase(MEMNAME)="AUG15SUP"); QUIT; %PUT &DROP_LIST.;

I can not get the above to work for me. 

If I do the following I get a listing for the variables in 'aug14sup' just fine.

[code]

options nodate pageno=1 source linesize=80 pagesize=60;
libname sas14 '/cpspb/prod/sas/aug';
%global drop_list;

proc sql;
describe table dictionary.members;
title 'SAS Files in SAS14 Library';
select memname, memtype
from dictionary.members
where libname='SAS14';
QUIT;

title " ";
PROC SQL;
SELECT distinct NAME
into :DROP_LIST separated by " "
from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS
where upcase(LIBNAME)='SAS14' and upcase(MEMNAME)='AUG14SUP';
QUIT;
%put %DROP_LIST;

[/code]

But if I try to combine the two libraries and the datasets using your example I get nothing. 

Actually I get - NOTE:  No rows were selected.

Thanks

SASHunter
Obsidian | Level 7

I finally got this to work, by using the UPCASE in front of the LIBNAME statement as follows:

proc sql ;
   select distinct NAME
      into :dupvars separated by " "
   from (select NAME from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS where
         upcase(libname)="SAS15" and upcase(MEMNAME)='AUG15SUP')
   where NAME not in (select NAME from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS
       where upcase(libname)="SAS14" and
             upcase(MEMNAME)="AUG14SUP");
quit;
%put &dupvars;

Now - can I use that new &dupvars file in a program to drop these variables in a KEEP statement.

When I view the listing it has 'Column Name' above it, so I'm not sure if that would work.

Thanks,

Nancy

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I think this is what you want.

options center=0 ls=max;
filename FT74F001 temp;
proc printto new print=FT74F001;
   run;
proc compare base=sashelp.shoes(obs=5) compare=sashelp.shoes(firstobs=2 obs=6) brief novalues listvar;
   run;
proc printto;
   run;
data unequalvars;
   infile FT74F001;
   input @'NOTE: Values of the following' n @'variables compare unequal:' @;
   do i = 1 to n;
      input name:$32. @;
      output;
      end;
   stop;
   run;

proc print;
   run;

Capture.PNG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation