BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
floradoc
Fluorite | Level 6

How do I copy the SAS dataset CARS.csv from SASHELP to WORK?  Seems simple enough but I cannot cut and paste and the proc copy command is not cooperating.  I was able to copy the dataset to My Folders but not down to WORK.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

CARS.CSV is not a SAS data set. The libraries are only going to contain SAS data sets, views and catalogs (generally).

One way to copy a SAS data set is code such as:

Data work.cars;

set sashelp.cars;

run;

if Cars.csv is an actual CSV file in the SASHELP directory then it would have to be imported to a SAS data set first.

CUT and paste implies removing the data set from SASHELP is a very poor idea as many of the sets in SASHELP are used by the system. I would expect Copy and Paste to work though.

Show the log of the Proc copy attempt you used. it will likely explain why it failed. To preserve formatting of any error messages post the code in a code box opened using the forum's {I} menu icon.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

CARS.CSV is not a SAS data set. The libraries are only going to contain SAS data sets, views and catalogs (generally).

One way to copy a SAS data set is code such as:

Data work.cars;

set sashelp.cars;

run;

if Cars.csv is an actual CSV file in the SASHELP directory then it would have to be imported to a SAS data set first.

CUT and paste implies removing the data set from SASHELP is a very poor idea as many of the sets in SASHELP are used by the system. I would expect Copy and Paste to work though.

Show the log of the Proc copy attempt you used. it will likely explain why it failed. To preserve formatting of any error messages post the code in a code box opened using the forum's {I} menu icon.

floradoc
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you. Yes, I did an import data. Thanks again!
ballardw
Super User

It is a poor idea to store your data in either the SASHELP or SASUSER libraries as updates to SAS may replace the directories entirely and your data is not likely to be moved.

floradoc
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes, I was just trying create an example of copying datasets from one library to another.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation