BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ColleenC
Fluorite | Level 6

I want to change the color of the header background and foreground for one value of the variables under the across variable (Cases Rate). I used a compute block to change the column background to light gray using the absolute column references _c4_ and _c5_. How do I change the header style attributes for _c4_ and _c5_, for example, to background=gainboro and foreground=black? I know I can change the color of the across variable header row (disease=cold) with a format, but what about the cells that read "Cases" and "Rates" under "Cold?" Version 9.3 or 9.4, using ODS PDF and proc report within ODS layout. Moving this question from stack overflow based on a suggestion from a user there that I might find an anwser here (Thanks Joe). A sample SAS Proc report code is below.

data test;
length name $ 10 disease $ 10.;
infile datalines dsd;
input name $ disease cases rate;
datalines;
State,Fever,4847,25.16
State,Cold,25632,131.5
State,Flu,103825,535.82
Lincoln,Fever,3920,44.17
Lincoln,Cold,16913,190.18
Lincoln,Flu,62965,735.39
Washington,Fever,827,56.56
Washington,Cold,3609,234.26
Washington,Flu,16610,1078.8
Kings,Fever,1026,37.45
Kings,Cold,4984,181.85
Kings,Flu,18388,694.33
Sussex,Fever,1411,78.38
Sussex,Cold,5515,300.46
Sussex,Flu,13881,813.11
Queens,Fever,616,26.03
Queens,Cold,2496,107.75
Queens,Flu,12518,558.09
;
run;

proc report data=test nowd headline headskip
STYLE(Header)={background=charcoal foreground=white }
style(column)={background=gray foreground=black}
style(report)=[rules=rows bordercolor=white];
columns (name disease,(cases rate));
define name/group order=data 'County' style(column)={background=lightgray} style(header)=[bordertopcolor=gainsboro background=gainsboro foreground=black];
define disease/across '' order=data  ;
define cases/'Cases' format=comma9. ;
define rate/'Rate' format=comma12.1 ;
compute cases;
    call define('_c4_','style','style={background=lighttgray}');
    call define('_c5_','style','style={background=lightgray}');
endcomp;
run;
quit;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I just got back from teaching. I will take a look. The bottom line is that if you're not using PROC REPORT for any of the COMPUTE or LINE capabilities, this kind of column/cell inheritance is built into PROC TABULATE, which has the <parent> method of inheriting style attributes. See page 18's example here: https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/stylesinprocs.pdf they use red, green and yellow, but you could easily alternate colors.

cynthia

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

One method is described in this paper on actually using ACROSS variables to control the header color: http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS388-2014.pdf

Another method is shown in the example below with user-defined formats:

report_header.png

Colors are a bit garish, I know, but you can see where every color is coming from in the code.

Hope this helps.

cynthia

ColleenC
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Cynthia. I have several of your proc report papers. I think the format option would change all the headers that have the same value, correct? I want to change only one of the header columns, even though there are several that have the same value. The headers I want to change are highlighted below.

Capture.PNG

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, you could make the format option work for the situation you show. But, CALL DEFINE will NOT touch the header rows directly. So, you'll have to use some other techniques. I think that Allison Booth and I had some examples in our Painted Report paper and I had an example in the ACROSS paper. I can't post anything else today during the day, but I will find an example and post it tonight.

cynthia
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi
2 questions...

what is your destination of interest? RTF, PDF or HTML?

And, what do you actually want for the County column -- everything the same color for Header and the county values and then a different color above the County header in the empty cell?

cynthia

ColleenC
Fluorite | Level 6

My destination is pdf, but I am also using ods layout to get other elements on the page. In terms of the color of the column headers, the same color as the column would be fine. I just want the colors to have a skip pattern like the columns themselves, to make it more readable. 

I will look at the papers you suggest. Thanks again

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I just got back from teaching. I will take a look. The bottom line is that if you're not using PROC REPORT for any of the COMPUTE or LINE capabilities, this kind of column/cell inheritance is built into PROC TABULATE, which has the <parent> method of inheriting style attributes. See page 18's example here: https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/stylesinprocs.pdf they use red, green and yellow, but you could easily alternate colors.

cynthia
ColleenC
Fluorite | Level 6

Proc tabulate it is. I am using PROC REPORT LINE capability in several of the reports, but I can mix and match as needed. Thanks!

BobHope
Quartz | Level 8

I would like to get an excel output working so that different across values are colored individually. I have attached an sample code on which I would like to color the var1 and var2 headers. I tried to follow Cynthia's instructions but couldn't get it working for some reason.

%let outputurl=;

proc format;
value $color "var1"='Gray'
"var2"='Yellow';
run;

data reportdata;
col1="var1";
col2="by1";
col3=1;
output;
col1="var1";
col2="by2";
col3=3;
output;
col1="var2";
col2="by1";
col3=9;
output;
col1="var2";
col2="by2";
col3=4;
output;
run;

data reportdata;
set reportdata;
dummy=1;
run;

/*options device=ACTXIMG;*/
/*ods excel file="&outputurl..xlsx"*/
/* options(sheet_interval="none" frozen_headers='2' frozen_rowheaders='1' gridlines='ON' */
/*orientattion='LANDSCAPE' suppress_bylines='ON' SHEET_NAME='Sheet1' autofilter='ALL');*/
proc report data=reportdata out=test;
col col1,(col2,col3) dummy;
define col1/across '' style(header)=Header{background=$color.};
define col2 /across '';
define col3/ '' nozero;
define dummy/noprint group;
run;

/*ods excel close;*/

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation