Help using Base SAS procedures

How can I use PROC GENMOD to calculate the crude incidence rate in my entire cohort (and 95% CI)?

Contributor

How can I use PROC GENMOD to calculate the crude incidence rate in my entire cohort (and 95% CI)?

I have a dataset that contains count and person time information for an event (CMG) stratified by a number of different variables (e.g. age, calendar year, etc...).  I am using PROC GENMOD to construct a poisson model, using log(person-time) as an offset variable.  The data was over-dispersed so I had to scale by the deviance.

How can I use the basic model (with no exposure or covariates) to calculate the unadjusted incidence rate of CMG in the entire cohort (regardless of covariate profiles)?  I know what the value should be but I would like to get it from the model and also look at the associated 95% confidence interval.

Here's the basic form of the model I'm using:

PROC GENMOD DATA=work.Count_PT_data

MODEL TotalCMG = / DIST=poi LINK=log offset=LOG_PT SCALE=deviance;

RUN;

Thanks for your help!  Let me know if there's anything more I can post.

Respected Advisor

Re: How can I use PROC GENMOD to calculate the crude incidence rate in my entire cohort (and 95% CI)?

Consider adding the OBSTATS option.  It will generate beaucoup output, with multiple variables included, but most importantly it will give X*beta and it's confidence limits.  This should be identical for every observation with the intercept-only model that you have specified.  The confidence bounds will be based on the rescaled error.  I really think that the value with the intercept-only model will reflect the mean exposure in the dataset.  To get the estimate with exposure set to zero, you could try (WARNING--untested code.  Just because I think it ought to work doesn't guarantee that it will):

PROC GENMOD DATA=work.Count_PT_data

MODEL TotalCMG = exposure/ DIST=poi LINK=log offset=LOG_PT SCALE=deviance;

LSMESTIMATE intercept 'Exposure=0' 1/at exposure=0 ilink;

RUN;

Good luck.

Steve Denham

Occasional Contributor

Re: How can I use PROC GENMOD to calculate the crude incidence rate in my entire cohort (and 95% CI)?

I have done the same analysis, in the way Steve Denham explains and it worked out well.

This topic is described here aswell: 24188 - Modeling a rate and estimating rates and rate ratios (with confidence intervals)

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation