BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cgdiver
Calcite | Level 5

I have a three-level logistic model: individuals, couples, countries.  I need to nest the individuals within the couple, and the couples within the countries.  I have seen several different options for programming the subject term, including:

random int / subject = couples;

random int / subject = countries;

random int / couples(countries);

random int countries / subject = couples;

Can someone explain the difference and which would be best to use for my model? Thanks! 

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
cgdiver
Calcite | Level 5

Two quick additions. Another coding option I have seen:

Random int / subject = countries

Random int / subject = couples(countries)

Also, regardless of which coding option I use, there is one independent variable that is so highly associated with the binary outcome that the covariance parameter estimate for all random effects is zero. The intercept and fixed effect estimates do vary depending on the code I use. If the covariance parameters estimates are zero, does that suggest that nesting is not needed or does it mean there may be a broader problem with the model? 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation