Help using Base SAS procedures

GENMOD or MCMC?

Occasional Contributor

GENMOD or MCMC?

I would like to do a multilevel regression analysis using a Bayesian approach. Could any body clarify what the difference/pros/cons in using GENMOD or MCMC? Does GLIMMIX have a BAYES option as GENMOD? thank you!

SAS Employee

Re: GENMOD or MCMC?

Medea,

When you say multilevel, do you mean hierarchically nested data only or you also need to model on longitudinal data?

There is a SAS training course on the subject "Multilevel modeling of hierarchical and longitudinal data using SAS". There should be a more cost-effective web class avaiable.

Jason Xin

Occasional Contributor

Hello Jason, thank you for your message. I am not interested in longitudinal analysis, at the moment, I simply have 2 levels of nested data (Hospital and patients within). If you have a link for the mentioned web class, I would appreciate it.

Thank you and regards.

Respected Advisor

GLIMMIX does not have the same sort of Bayesian analysis as found in GENMOD.  Take a look at Example 55.8 Nonlinear Poisson Regression Multilevel Random-Effects Model in the PROC MCMC documentation.  That should provide an excellent starting point (well, assuming you have a background in MCMC methods).

Steve Denham

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation