Help using Base SAS procedures

Format

N/A

Format

Hi,

i have a variable which holds big value (100000000000)...so when am using this value for further analysis , sas is coverting this value to exponential format(ex:7.50E+07)......i want to reamin the above big value same in the output.

i applied format variable_name best 32...........but nothing has changed

so kindly suggest any solution for this in order to remain the same value i.e big value

Kumar
N/A

Re: Format

Posted in reply to deleted_user
Hi,

Try with the no of maximum digits in the number.
Ex:
data x;
a=1000000000000000;
format a 16.;
run;

proc print;
run;
Valued Guide

derive another value[pre] big_string = put( big_value, 32. -L ) ; [/pre]
That -L left-aligns the string.
Does this help?

PeterC
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

And what would the purpose hold for big_string as a CHARACTER type variable?

The key here is for the OP to understand the external (formatted) versus the SAS internal NUMERIC variable value, especially when used in a calculation or derivation of some type.

Using a FORMAT statement with a numeric variable is the key here.

There are several technical papers and SAS-hosted Language Reference: Concepts documentation available on this topic at the SAS support http://support.sas.com/ website - consider the Google advanced search argument (or use the SAS website SEARCH facility):

numeric variable precision format site:sas.com

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
N/A

HI actually when am exporting this value to graph output , the sas graph is converting actual value to exponential value.

I mean this value (100000000) should be placedon x -axis in the sas graph..... but sas is converting this value to exponential (ex:1.00E+08)value this means if the value is more than 8 digits then sas graph is converting thay value to exponential....i just want the value on x-axis ahould be actual number but not exponential value.

so do we have any options in sas graph?

kumar
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Yes, the FORMAT statement is one approach. You will need to share your SAS code (complete) for a more detailed reply.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation