Help using Base SAS procedures

Effect-coding in GLIMMIX

Accepted Solution Solved
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Effect-coding in GLIMMIX

Is there a way to switch the default dummy-coding of CLASS variables to effect-coding in PROC GLIMMIX?

My goal is to obtain tests for each level of a fixed class variable against sample average in PROC GLIMMIX.  In PROC LOGISTIC the CLASS statement has an option ‘PARAM=EFFECT’ to accomplish this.  There does not seem to be an equivalent for that in PROC GLIMMIX.  Am I missing something?

If I can't change the way a CLASS variable is parameterized by GLIMMIX, what would you recommend for me to achieve my goal? I know I could manually effect-code each level of my class variable in the source dataset and enter all of those effect-coded variables into the model.  I can also use a series of ESTIMATE statements to compute the desired targets by using dummy-code default.  Trouble is that my class variable has over 400 levels and both of the options above require a whole lot of coding. I have hard time believing that SAS took away PARAM=EFFECT option without an easy alternative.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Haris

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎11-28-2016 04:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Effect-coding in GLIMMIX

SAS Tech Support came through rapidly: DIFF=ANOM option in the LSMEANS statement in PROC GLIMMIX is exactly what I was looking for.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎11-28-2016 04:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Effect-coding in GLIMMIX

SAS Tech Support came through rapidly: DIFF=ANOM option in the LSMEANS statement in PROC GLIMMIX is exactly what I was looking for.
☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation