BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MBI
Calcite | Level 5 MBI
Calcite | Level 5
Hi everyone,

I got this error last night while running a data step on a large set of data:
ERROR: Write to WORK.ALL.DATA failed. File is full and may be damaged.

The log says that 19million observations were read but my data set has about twice that.

I changed the default work folder in SASV9.CFG to an external 2000G drive a while back so there should be enough space. Any idea what is going on? Is there a setting elsewhere that limits the size of these temp work files? Will I have any better luck if I use permanent user files? I'm using EG 4.1.

Thanks,

MBI
2 REPLIES 2
MBI
Calcite | Level 5 MBI
Calcite | Level 5
I'm providing an update and possible solution in case anyone else encounters this problem ...

I think the issue is the limitation on file size for hard drives formatted using FAT32 which has a maximum file size of 4GB. Most new external drives are formatted using FAT32 by default. I think the fix is to reformat using NTFS.

-MBI
deleted_user
Not applicable
Try doing the same step in a permanent library. Also if possible do send the code which you are trying to execute.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation