BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CharlesR
Calcite | Level 5
Not sure if this is the "correct" forum to put this in but can't figure out which other one to use . . .

I am using the Import Data option under File. Several months ago, i created a library from which to work from. I then used Import Data and when i got to the 3rd screen titled: Choose the SAS destination, would pick the library I created. And whenever i invoked this library, the sas data sets i created would be there.

Well, i'm trying to do this again, except that when i run this, i get the ERROR message displayed in the subject heading. I've googled this error and noticed it seems to pertain to the Read Only attribute which is now marked in the properties of the folder I have my data stored. The problem is that every time i uncheck the Read Only attribute, it doesn't take. I click apply, it changes, but when i reopen the folder, there it is selected still. I have double checked my permissions and have full access. I've even tried to do this from my administrator account (I'm running Vista Ultimate) and nothing doing. This is driving me nuts. Can anyone help?
9 REPLIES 9
SASKiwi
PROC Star
This is the typical error you get when the Windows security on the folder in question is not set up so you have the right access to it. Check Properties of the folder in Windows Explorer and then look at the Security tab.

You don't mention if this is a server or a local folder or not. If it is a server folder you will need to work with your Windows administrator to get this sorted.
CharlesR
Calcite | Level 5
First and most important, it is a folder on my own computer.

And as for the Security tab, that's exactly what i'm talking about. When you go to the security tab, one is checking to see that you have full rights to make changes, which i do. In other words, this isn't the problem. I hate MS sometimes. Message was edited by: CharlesR
Patrick
Opal | Level 21
Could it be that you're running your code on a different server now?

To write to your local hard drive the Server should be "local".

Running the same code on any other server would result in your job trying to write to the server disk - and it's quite likely that you might not be allowed to do so. Message was edited by: Patrick
CharlesR
Calcite | Level 5
To repeat, I am not using a server. It is my own computer. I really hate MS.
CharlesR
Calcite | Level 5
I've also thrown this up on MS's discussion board but was thinking maybe someone here had experienced this and knew of a solution. Message was edited by: CharlesR
ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I was unable to duplicate the problem, but a couple of other things to check.
Is there a second SAS session (or a second LIBREF in the current session) that points to that same directory (either with a read only or with a write lock)? When you attempt to make the changes at the OS level, was there an active SAS session with a libref pointing to that directory?

On the OS side, which seems like a less likely culprit, be sure to check security/privliges at higher levels as well.
CharlesR
Calcite | Level 5
On the OS side I actually went in as the administrator and couldn't change the folder from "not Read Only". The annoying thing? I can save regular docs to it. I'm trying to essentially have a data set create to this folder rather than everything to WORK. I should just give in and use work for expediency, but i'd like to know why this is happening.
Irma
Calcite | Level 5

You could try to check if the antivirus is blocking you. Try to add as an exemption the folder in question and the SAS files into the antivirus and see if it makes a difference or not. Or try to temporary disable the antivirus and try to use that library again to test if the antivirus is preventing you to use that library.

ballardw
Super User

@Irma wrote:

You could try to check if the antivirus is blocking you. Try to add as an exemption the folder in question and the SAS files into the antivirus and see if it makes a difference or not. Or try to temporary disable the antivirus and try to use that library again to test if the antivirus is preventing you to use that library.

@Irma Considering that the original poster has not returned to this forum since April of 2011 this is likely a dead topic.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation