Help using Base SAS procedures

Do Loop Until Criteria is Met?

Regular Contributor

Do Loop Until Criteria is Met?

Hello I have an array of procedures of up to 20 cases.  I want to loop through looking for specific codes and when found then I don't want to continue looping through.  The reason is because the first occurrence of the matching procedure is the one I want to use and there is a possibility another code could match it's not the one I want to evaluate. if ca_dx eq "N" and age>=18 and Adm= "L" then do i = 1 to 20 until (proccde = ''); if ooh ne "Y" and substr(proccde,1,5) in ("1SY80") and substr(proccde,6,2) ne "BA" and atribloc Not In ("0","B") and atribstat ne "A" then ventral_px=1; end; But really for the above I want it to stop at the first procedure that is "1SY80"....is there any way to do this?  Thanks.

Super User

Re: Do Loop Until Criteria is Met?

Yes, by a few ways.

1. In your do loop add another condition which is a flag and when the flag is set it stops. Set the flag using a if/then/do when the first occurance is found.

e.g.

do while (original condition AND flag =0); *Watch your and/ifs

if proccde="ABC" then do;

flag=1;

index=i;

end;

end;

2. Change the way you search for the instance of procedure code using the whichc/whichn function instead.

Regular Contributor

Hi Reeza Thanks very much.  Sorry but I'm not understanding the first section.  So using my code, would it be:

do while cco eq "N" and age>=18 and Adm= "L" and flag=0;

if ooh ne "Y" and substr(proccde,1,5) in ("1NT86") and substr(proccde,6,2) ne "BA" and Type="DS" and atribstat ne "A" then do;

flag=1;

anoA_px=1;

There are many others and right now they are all within the do and end piece so is it still okay that I do that I can add the next one after the last line above?  Thanks.

Super User

I'm not 100% sure, depends on your logic Smiley Happy

I think you'll have to test it to see.

Essentially the idea is correct, except I think you do have to have the while condition in brackets, and make sure your end statements line up.

Super User
Super User

You could just use the LEAVE statement to exit the loop.

For example try this:

data _null_ ;

do i=1 by 1 until (i>100) ;

if i=10 then leave ;

end;

put i=;

run;

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation