BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
madhu
Calcite | Level 5
Can any one please help me how to generate the final sas dataset name in uppercase.
8 REPLIES 8
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Though you did not specify the OS platform type where SAS is running, as I understand it, the desired outcome is not attainable. See this SAS support website tech note:

http://support.sas.com/kb/15/989.html

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Suggested Google advanced search argument, this topic / post:

unix sas member name uppercase site:sas.com
madhu
Calcite | Level 5
I am working on windows platform
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
SAS converts to lowercase per the SAS system architecture. From what I read, VALIDVARNAME only applies to SAS variable names, not SAS dataset/member names.

Question to the OP: Why do you feel a need for uppercase file-names, given that it doesn't matter anyway on Windows?

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
madhu
Calcite | Level 5
Because the final datasets should be delivered with their names in upper case.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I expect it will need to be done outside of the SAS operational (that is, DATA, PROC step) environment. You may have interest with looking at CALL SYSTEM, and using FILENAME with the PIPE engine to ingest and process Windows directory/file information, possibly.

Suggest you review the SAS companion for Windows, and also search the SAS support http://support.sas.com/ website for ideas and technical / conference reference material on the topic.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
garybald
Calcite | Level 5
options validvarname=upcase;
madhu
Calcite | Level 5
options validvarname doesnt work for dataset names ...any other way??
gkeeler
Calcite | Level 5

*** This renames the same file to CamelCase: ***;

options noxsync noxwait;

%sysexec rename "%sysfunc(pathname(work))\badname.sas7bdat" "BadName.sas7bdat";

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation