BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Kevin_Graduate
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

I have a question regarding the merge statement in the DATA step, as in the example below.

The data1 has variables of policy, location and age_1, and the data2 has variables of policy, location and age_2. The data3 is created by merging these two data sets. The new variable age is set to the value 'X' if both age_1 and age_2 have missing values in the merged data3. Surprisingly, after the DATA step, the values for both age_1 and age_2 became missing. Where is the problem? Please advise.

DATA work.data3;
MERGE work.data1 work.data2;
BY policy location;
IF MISSING(age_1) AND MISSING(age_2) THEN age='X';
RUN;
9 REPLIES 9
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You need to generate some self-initiated diagnostics in your SAS log to see why your SAS DATA step behaved as you explain. Add this statement and I believe that you will have the answer to your question:

PUTLOG _ALL_;

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Kevin_Graduate
Calcite | Level 5
i just like to know if I can compare variables in two different datasets during merge. If this is wrong, then I should use another data step after the merge?

anyone can suggest?
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I think you need to use the IN option on the datasets. If age is a number, then the age='X' won't work.

DATA work.data3;
MERGE work.data1(in=d1) work.data2(in=d2);
BY policy location;
IF not d1 and not d2 THEN age='X';
RUN;
Kevin_Graduate
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for your reply, DBailey. But my question is actually:

Is it right to compare two variables a, b, if they are in two different datasets of data1, and data2? So,

DATA test;
MERGE data1 data2;
BY ID_1;
IF a+b > 10; /*Note: a in data1, b in data2*/

RUN;

My question is: does the merge happens before the IF a+b>10 statement? If this is true, then the code does not cause problem. But if the merge happens after that, then this causes problem, as variable a does not exist at all the data2.
DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
If I remember by program data vector correctly, the PDV is filled in as the input data sets are read. The code you have included should not cause a problem. You might have an issue with missing values which might propogate to your answer.
bncoxuk
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for the answer, Dbailey.
SPR
Quartz | Level 8 SPR
Quartz | Level 8
Hello Kevin,

This code:
DATA test;
MERGE data1 data2;
BY ID_1;
IF a+b > 10; /*Note: a in data1, b in data2*/
RUN;

works correctly. Merge happens before IF will execute. However, your logic in the initial code has a problem:
IF MISSING(age_1) AND MISSING(AGE_2) THEN age='X';

You do not specify what to do if age_1 is missing and age_2 is not. This creates missing values for age. The same is true when age_1 is not missing but age_2 is missing.

This is a test program:
[pre]
data data1;
ID_1=1; a=5; output;
ID_1=1; a=.; output;
ID_1=2; a=3; output;
ID_1=2; a=0; output;
run;
data data2;
ID_1=1; b=6; output;
ID_1=1; b=.; output;
ID_1=2; b=8; output;
ID_1=2; b=1; output;
run;
DATA test;
MERGE data1 data2;
IF MISSING(a) AND MISSING(b) THEN age='X';
BY ID_1;
RUN;
[/pre]
Dataset test:
[pre]
ID_1 a b age
1 5 6
1 . . X
2 3 8
2 0 1
[/pre]
Sincerely,
SPR
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
As I mentioned, the PUTLOG command would have given you the answer to your latest curios question about SAS MERGE processing.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
bncoxuk
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for sharing the great knowledge.

I am reading, practicing and learning. Super software.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation