BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
varatt90
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all, 

I have a categorical variable with multiple unordered categories and am working with hierarchical data where clustering occurs at the hospital level. There is significant variance at the hospital level affecting my outcome, which is why I'm using PROC GLIMMIX instead of PROC GEE, as PROC GEE assumes an independent working correlation structure when you use a multinomial distribution.

My questions are:

1. Does the independent correlation structure in PROC GEE account for the nested data structure?
  2. What correlation structure is assumed in PROC GLIMMIX, and does it adequately account for the nested data?

Here’s a sample of my code that I would like to run:

PROC GLIMMIX Data=Test Method=laplace;
CLASS hospitalid outcome (REF="0") year (REF="0") age (REF="0") sex (REF="0");
MODEL outcome = year age sex / DIST=multinomial LINK=glogit ALPHA=0.05 CL ODDSRATIO solution;
RANDOM Intercept / SUBJECT=hospitalid GROUP=outcome;
RUN;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation