BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rakeshvvv
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have to convert my sas datasets into Xpt files.

Some of the varaiblenames are greater then 8 like ABCEDFGH.

Can someone explain the way to convert those sas datasets into xpt

Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

First explain why do you want to create XPT-files?

There are other ways to migrate data between SAS hosts/versions that doesn't have the 8 char variable name restriction.

Data never sleeps
rakeshvvv
Quartz | Level 8

For FDA submission,

we need to submit the data XPT format only. Can you help if there is any way we could convert sas files to xpt files for variablename greater then 8..

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Are you sure that renaming a few variables is the only problem?  What about LABEL and char variable length. 

rakeshvvv
Quartz | Level 8

It is not about renaming variable.........XPT files were not able created quoting reason as varaiblename in sas datset is more then 8 characters in length........

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Well, you do need to rename variables if they are longer than 8 char. The same goes for format names, label length etc. You need to make your data V6 compliant.

Data never sleeps
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Well in order process the existing data with the XPORT engine you are doing to need to create a data set that has the proper V6 names.  You might get it to work by renaming the existing variables but that may not be the only problem.  You should probably spend some time with the SAS documentation concerting the XPORT engine and the restrictions associated with it.

rakeshvvv
Quartz | Level 8

The problem here is not renaming the variables.....our client has given few variable names(greater then 8 charactesr length). He is very parcticular about having only  those variablenames in final xpt file....he doent want the varaibles to be renamed........any way to do this............

Kalyanker
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

If you had solved this, can I get code over here?

I also would like to convert my SAS data set to .XPT for FDA, please lemme know.

Thanks

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you want to transport SAS datasets, containing variable names longer than 8 characters then you should check out the CPORT and CIMPORT procedures. These handle them fine.

Here is a good starting point: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/movefile/63050/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0p45wa0uwhgcan1e...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation