Help using Base SAS procedures

Convert numeric in format YY to date

Learner

Convert numeric in format YY to date

Hey there,

I need to convert a numeric in the format YY (e.g. '70' represents '1970') to a date format. I don't think I can use informats since I'm reading this in from a xls file.  Is there a straightforward way to do this? Whenever I try to use date formats, SAS assumes the values are already in SAS dat format and outputs 1960 for them all, because the values are all so small. I know this is a very basic question, but I'm brand new to SAS and after searching the internet I couldn't seem to find a suitable answer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jack

Super Contributor

Re: Convert numeric in format YY to date

Posted in reply to jackwesley
data test;
input yy;
sasdate=mdy(1,1,yy);
format sasdate year.;
datalines;
;
run;
Super User

I can't really think of a good reason to convert 60 to a date.  Why not just convert it to a year?  

Y = Y + 1900;

Easy to code, simple to interpret later.  

As was noted in the other response, if you do want to convert it to a date, you will have to pick which day of the year to use.  

Super User
Super User

I completely agree with @Astounding, why bother converting when your just adding a number on.  However I would also add why are you using partial dates?  Should 10 be 1910 or 2010?  I would start by going back to the source and fixing the data there, you should never be guessing on what the data represents.

Respected Advisor

Also search at support.sas.com.  You will find the answer to most questions in the online documentation.

I do not agree that converting the year to a SAS date is a bad idea.  There are many reasons to use SAS dates that should be obvious to most.

@mohamed_zaki has answered your question and provide the formated needed to display '01JAN1970'd as a year.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation